Sunday, December 27, 2009

day 13

Gracie has the best news.....
My mommy is off the ventilator!!!!

That's right...you read it correctly. Sarah is off the vent and no...she won't get trached! Jimi and I walked in this morning and her nurse, Lori, had a huge smile on her face. She said, "it's going to be a great day." I was a little confused. Jimi and I walked into Sarah's room and her RT was there. They were doing weaning tests and Sarah was passing all of them with flying colors. She was on 0 PEEP and doing all the breathing on her own...which is even harder than not being on a vent. It's like breathing through a straw. Dr. Lotten had come in before we got there and asked Sarah if she wanted to go home. Of course she said YES! He told her he was going to give her a late Christmas present and said that because she was doing so well---getting up with PT and everything else---he wanted to give this a shot. If she had a hard time, they would have to intubate again, but it didn't come to that. Thank goodness!
A small crowd gathered...Jimi, Lori, Liz (PT), Rod (the RT that put in Sarah's art line and saw her so sick on the day she was sent to the ICU, and myself. Her RT extubated her and Sarah was grinning from ear to ear. Jimi finally got to give Sarah a real kiss...nope it wasn't a 10 second frencher, but I'm sure it was the best kiss they have had in awhile. She can barely talk, but hearing her quiet, raspy voice was music to my ears!!!
Sarah wanted to surprise my parents so I called them and told them Sarah really wanted to see Gracie. (Yesterday, Dr. Lotten told Sarah that Gracie could come visit every day. He thought that would be the best medicine to help her recover. He's awesome.) So, my parents showed up with Gracie. They walked in and were talking and it took a minute and then they realized she was extubated. They started laughing and cheering. It was another great moment. Sarah was able to hold Gracie and this time Gracie didn't try to extubate her mommy!
She needs to do a lot breathing exercises to keep her lungs healthy and to help them continue to heal. She did those today and will continue for awhile. When I just talked to Jimi, she was on 3L by nasal cannula. She went on several walks with PT. She is in the best of spirits! She just wishes she could drink. That will come. They will probably do a swallow study tomorrow to make sure she isn't aspirating. She will also stay tonight in the ICU and then should transfer to the Intermediate Unit tomorrow.
What a fantastic day! After almost 2 weeks, I can finally sigh in relief. I'm so glad Sarah is doing so well. I know our prayers have been heard and we are so thankful that she is well on her way to a full recovery.
I know many people will want to visit Sarah when she is out of the ICU. Yes, she is doing wonderful, but she still has a ways to go. She needs her rest. All of her therapies will continue and she will be working hard to get out of the hospital. Please call Jimi if you really want to visit. He can let you know how the day is going and if it is a good idea. She is excited to have some quiet after being in the noisy ICU and I'm sure some long awaited, well deserved rest!

24 comments:

Sara said...

hip hip hooray!! still praying for you like crazy, and i am so thrilled you get to see little gracie every day now. what a blessing!!!

Ruthy said...

How wonderful to be able to see cute little gracie every day!! I can't even begin to imagine how you have missed her. You are so amazing! That is great that you don't have to get the trach! Anything to get you feeling better faster! Love you! See you soon :)

The Barber's said...

Wow this is the best news we have heard in a long time...truly the Christmas miracle we have been praying for! And to get to see Gracie every day....music to your ears I am sure. We love you and cant wait to see you!!!

The Shegrud Family said...

WAY TO GO!!! What great news!! Merry Christmas to all of us,through you, our Christmas miracle!! Keep it up...we can't wait to see you again!! Church just isn't the same without your smiling face!!

Jackie said...

That is awesome news. We have been praying that no trach would be needed and we knew if anyone could do it would be our Sarah. Gracie is one lucky little girl and sounds like she knew you needed that tube out. Fantastic job Jimi!!! We can only imagine how hard this has been for you too. You are also a hero and we pray for you each night as well. Love to you all, Jackie

Anonymous said...

Wow that was something I didn't expect. HOORAY for a huge step toward coming home!!! We can't wait until you do. Kiss Gracie for me!! I'm so glad you can.

Anna said...

I am Sharon's cousin. I have been following your blog since I found out how sick you were. I'm glad you are doing so well. What a cute little girl you have. I'm sure she'll be glad to have her mom home when that happens.

PJ said...

we are just giddy with happiness to hear such good news so soon! what a roller coaster ride this has been! thanks for the blog Tracy. love to Jimi and Sarah. ~rose

SharonandScott said...

Sarah and Jimi-- It was so good to see you tonight-- you look so much better than when I saw you last-- I knew you were doing better but to see how well was a big shocker to me! Way to go-- Chloe sure wanted to hug you tonight but I know there will be lots of hugs to come! We are so proud of you and Jimi-- Way to go!

beth said...

Yipee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russ and Katie Olsen Family said...

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!!! Our prayers are once again being answered. You are doing awesome. Hang in there. We are cheering you on here at the Olsen household. Every night I just cry as I give Russ your update. We are so happy you are doing so well. We miss you, can't wait to see your happy face once more. By the way, tell Jimi that we stuck your garbage can out tonight and will take it back in tomorrow. ♥ you!!!!

Risa said...

Yay! Prayers work! I hope you know how all of us were praying for you and hoping for a Christmas miracle! I'm sending my love to Sarah, Jimi, Gracie and Wadman and Jarman families from me and all of your friends at LDSFS.

Jodi B. said...

Awesome news!!

Lori said...

WAHOOOOO!!!!!! I've been reading your blog aloud to my husband every night. When I read this he pumped his fists and said "yesss!" hee hee. We're so excited for you. We'll keep praying that your recovery goes smoothly.

Much love.

Lynn said...

That is awesome news Sarah! Keep up the hard work...and get plenty of rest, you need it.

The Razzle Dazzle Family said...

Way to go Sarah. I am so happy for you! I hope everything keeps going well. You are such a fighter!! You are still in my prayers and heart. I hope you will be able to go home soon to your darling little girl and your amazing husband!!

Tammy said...

Awesome!!The best news yet!!! Congratulations!To know that you are able to see your little angel and kiss your sweet hubby every day! The best news ever! We love you! You are amazing!

steamloco said...

Best news so far!

Steve

Amy said...

Can't type through the tears... I am so happy! I have been so worried! And sweet Gracie is definitely the best medicine! I hope we can come see you soon! :)

Unknown said...

YEAH! Good good news :) Keep it up Sarah! We are still praying for you.

Mary said...

Best Christmas Gift EVER!!! So glad she is doing better! Keep it up!!! Before you know it she will be back home and back to her cheerful self!!!

Tasha Obray said...

I am so happy for you Sarah! You and your family are still in my prayers! Keep up the great work!

Love, Tasha

Dave and Hejdi Swan said...

Yay yay yay yay!!!!! We are so happy for you!! We knew that you would fight your way out of this one, esp with the amazing family you obviously have :) What a blessing!!! All of this has truly made us take a step back and be grateful for the simple blessings in our own life.We love you!!

Angie Cammack said...

Oh my goodness!! What a gigantic relief. I've been following since I heard your sister was updating your blog; praying for you every step of the way. Gage was in the hospital for 3 days with his own breathing problems, but nothing like what you've gone through. I'm so proud of all the hard work you're doing. You are AMAZING! Get your rest, and know that I love you!
Angie