Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ode to Albertsons!

Ashlee, this one is for you.
I am a terrible blogger. I log on and end up just reading everyone else's. I am really going to try harder to stay up on this, despite the boredom you may feel by reading...

Today we had our Super Saturday and I am super glad it is OVER! It was really a lot of fun, but so much work as well. I find it fascinating how all the planning and shopping and crafting and more planning can last forever, but when it comes to the actual day, it is over in a flash.
Anyway, we started our day with a service project for a homeless shelter in Ogden. We had all the sisters bring items to make sack lunches for the workers to pass out to the men staying there. It was really nice to be able to do something to help out the community and know that you are making a difference, even be it a small differnce, every little bit counts!

Then we had several stations all around the cultural hall where we offered six different projects. We just had the sisters rotate to the different projects that they had singed up for. Then at noon we had a coupon clipping class. Now, I have always looked through the coupons in Sunday's paper and occasionally clipped some of them, but never hardly ever remember to take them with me when I am actually grocery shopping or else I lose them immediately
after clipping them. Very frustrating.
Anyway, one of the sisters in our ward is a coupon guru and knows all the deals and so naturally, she taught the little class. It was a lot of good information, but the thing that I found most appealing is just to watch the ads each week. I am sure most of you already do this and so you must think I am a complete dummy for not, but to be completely honest, I have
always just shopped at... wal-mart {gasp!} I know! I am a disgrace!
But NO MORE!

First problem with shopping at wal-mart is that I go in for a gallon of $3 milk and end up leaving with a cart full of other stuff and $40-$60 less in my bank account. Every time! How does that happen? Second, I really do not like that the wal-marts of the world are over-taking the world! And third, there are some real crazies that shop at wal-mart....at every hour of the day, you just can't avoid them!

Anyway, so my cute neighbor, Ashlee, works for Albertson's as their regional safety manager, and she was sitting next to me and gave all of us a few tips on this weeks Albertsons ad. So, of course I had to see for myself the great deals and this is what I got...


24 cans of cream of mushroom soup

24 cans of cream of chicken soup

16 bags of cereal



and this is how much I spent:

I spent $36.05 and I saved $80.16! Plus I got this for FREE:

Why all the soup and cereal you might ask? The soup is for food storage and the cereal is for Jimi. I found out six years ago, that Jarman boys really like their cereal!

10 comments:

Kristina said...

YOU ROCK.. next time I go shopping with you.. SERIOUSLY....
I love the case lot sales, and love when you save so much money. Even better when you end up getting things for free.

Amber said...

Way to go on the shopping!! I have to admit- I'm horrible at using coupons! But case lot sales are the way to go for sure! So you were wondering what kind of dog my Hoochy is- She's a French Mastiff. She is such a good dog and so good with Carmyn! I love to hear that you guys are dog lovers too! Roxy is such a babe- She is so Pretty. I think we definitely need to get Roxy and Hooch together to play sometime!!
Amber

Tammy said...

You did awesome. Congratulations on finding out about the ads. I use them but ahave been bad lately...you posty has given me another reasons to get back with the ad programs. I too must admit that I am glad Saturday is over. It went well but I am it has come to an end. You will have to tell me what else you learned in the class.

Tracy Smythe said...

I know....saving money on groceries is a small victory in this volatile financial uncertainty that we live in. I'm glad your SS turned out good...and I'm sure you are super glad it is over.

Jodi B. said...

You have inspired me to recommit to coupon shopping far away from Wal-Mart. You got a ton of food for your money! Way to go on a successful super saturday, I can't believe how much work goes into it.

Johnstun Fam said...

SARAH you ROCK!!!!!! That post is awesome! Thank you for supporting Albertsons and also Thats awesome how much money you saved! Don't you just love it!
Thanks for all the work that went into Super Saturday! I had so much fun! I loved getting to know everyone. See ya sunday!

Dave and Hejdi Swan said...

Sarah that's awesome!! I hope Dave doesn't see this, cause he's always saying I should look at coupons, but yeah...somehow I always forget or just figure I can do the Wal-Mart thing :) I'm lovin how you set up the soup tower and everything too! I love it!!

Penny said...

What a fun entry! I am a total coupon shopper, and got $400 of grocerites at Alby's for $100. They have the very best sales! Still praying for you :).

Penny

Kristin said...

I am so impressed! We had a similar thing in our ward a few months ago so I am trying to avoid Wal-Mart too! I have found that I don't really spend any less, but I get a ton more for my money. We don't have Albertsons here though so that is a bummer. My dad called me though and told me about the soup sale and he bought me a couple of cases that we will have to pick up next time we come!

Johnstun Fam said...

Hi Sarah, I hope you don't mind but I am going to share your "ode to Albertsons" entry with some of the people in my office. They enjoy hearing these stories! Talk to you soon!