Thursday, May 22, 2008

80's Flashback!!

With the NKOTB (New Kids on the Block) reuniting, I decided to compare their most recent Today Show performance to their original performances back in the 80's. I don't remember totally being in love with them, but I think my older sister was and a few years later I inherited her tape that she had just simply out grown. It was funny, I knew almost every single word to every single song. How does that work? I haven't heard or thought of the NKOTB for nearly 20 years and yet, there I was, a 20-something, married woman singing along like it was yesterday.

Well that got us (Jimi and I) into a new discussion about what our first cassette tape was that we personally owned. Well, I am proud to say that my first ever tape, which was all mine and NOT a hand-me-down was......drumroll please....Wilson Phillips. I loved them! My aunt and uncle and very cool cousins gave it to me for my birthday and it just made me feel so grown-up to be given such an adult gift. I think I was 9 years old. :) Jimi's first tape was the Miami Vice soundtrack....isn't that funny? He was like 3 years old when that show started, apparently it made a big impression in his little life and he liked to jam while wearing a fluorescent green blazer and oversized plastic sunglasses. Can you imagine? Anyway, back to the reason for this post, we were searching youtube for old music videos that took us back to our childhood and I came across this one.

Probably all of you Utah natives already knew that Tiffany shot most of this in Ogden and more speficially at the old Ogden City Mall and the Union Station, but we didn't! What a surprise!

Anyway, it was kinda fun to reminsce and be a bit nastolgic. Here's to the 80's, the era of big hair, bright colors and us!

10 comments:

Heidi said...

Thanks for the flashback, it was funny to watch.

Tracy Smythe said...

Hey, did you kipe my NKOTB tape? Is that where it went all those years ago? :) What was my first cassette tape? I need to think about that...so many many moons ago. Spencer wanted me to say "Seriously...I wuffffff u."

Tammy said...

What a funny video. Oh how I love the 80's! I didn't know where it was shot either.

J + A Humphreys said...

That was awesome! I totally owned a Tiffany tape and played it every day I think. My very first tape was Janet Jackson...but I think that was in the 90's...we were still babies in the 80's. :)

Jodi B. said...

I totally jammed out to that video! I can't remember my first tape, but I do remember toting around my totally tubular NKOTB Trapper Keeper!

Amy said...

That is so funny! Tiffany was my first cassette tape! I got it for my birthday and I loved it!

Erin said...

When I was little my mom used to bribe me to clean the house and the reward would be that I could listen to Wilson Phillips becuase I LOVED them! I also love NKOTB...I had the dolls, sheets, shirts and tapes! SO fuuny!! Thanks for the flashback :)

Unknown said...

That was so great!!! I am such an 80's child. I loved new kids & my first tape was paula Abdul. It is funny cause no kids that are in High school right now know who the New Kids are...so weird. Weird to even think of tapes! My first CD was Wilson Phillips. Anyway, thanks for the fun post! Your new blog is dang cute by the way!

Unknown said...

Can I also say...Music videos have changed SO much! CRAZY. Thanks for checking up on us on our blog. I love hearing all your comments :) No one has even come adn looked at our house yet, so I hope it sells. we will see I guess. How is everything with you guys? I need to facebook you :)

Julie said...

Hi! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I actually do post signatures for $5. If you'd like more info you can see my other blog at www.LeelouHeaders.blogspot.com
Thanks!
*Leelou*