Sunday, March 13, 2011

Matt and Kristy

We have a picture of Gracie's birthparents, Matt and Kristy, on a shelf in Gracie's bedroom.  It has been there since before she was born.  I just really wanted Gracie to grow up with their faces being familiar.  Of course, we see Kristy every few months but Matt we have never met.  I truly hope that someday that will change, but until that day, we will just keep thanking our Heavenly Father for him and hoping the best for him and his life.

Anway, back to the picture....I never NEVER want my children to not know where they came from.  I can love Grace with every fiber of my being and try to be everything for her that I possibly can be but the simple truth is, she doesn't get her strawberry blonde hair or her blue eyes from either me or Jimi.  She gets them from Kristy and Matt.  I want her to be proud of that and love that part of her and  be proud of them for their loving sacrifice. 

So a few weeks ago, one Sunday morning, Gracie woke up and was pointing at their picture!  I took her over and we took the picture down and I told her that was Matt and Kristy.  She held it in her cute little hands and smiled so big.  I let her hold it while I was changing her bum and then I told her it was time to get ready for church.  She carried the picture into the bathroom and held it while we brushed her teeth and did her hair.  We went downstairs and she carried it along.  She even showed it to her best friend, Roxy.  She would just point to their faces and smile and giggle. I am sure at this very young age she really doesn't get it.  To her they are just two cute, happy faces....but when she does 'get it' I don't think it will be any big revelation or shock or even surprise because she will have grown up hearing about them and seeing their picture.  I think it will just be a part of who she is. 




 

3 comments:

The Honsvick's said...

That made my whole day! Thank you for having that picture of us in her room and letting her know me. That means so much to me! And thank you so much for sharing her with me and the sweet things she does every day. I absolutely love it! Love you guys! Give that sweet little girl a big kiss and hug for me :)

Johnstun Fam said...

:) not much more to say

Annie Nielson said...

Seriously, I don't think Kristy could've picked better parents for Miss Gracie. How great that Gracie will know her roots. I know it makes Kristy feel so happy that you guys teach Gracie about her. It makes me happy, too.

BTW, Gracie is so darn cute! You guys always have her dressed so cute and her hair fixed in the cutest ways. My favorite post was about the manic depressive hair--one pony was up and one was down, hilarious!! You two make fabulous parents :)