Poor little Grace was sick for most of last week. Early Tuesday morning (2 AMish) she woke up screaming. I ended up holding and rocking her in her room all that night (and for the next 4 nights! I am SO thankful we invested in a really comfy chair for her room). Her little body was soo hot and when I took her temp it was over 102. She had never really had any sort of temp over 100 before, not even with teething. Anyway, she seemed ok other than that. She didn't want to eat much but still drank her bottles and was peeing and pooping and in between fevers, she would walk around and play. Then the tylenol/ibuprofen would ware off and her fever would spike again. We did this until Thursday when it hit 103.4...then off to the doc we went.
The doctor suspected an ear infection but couldn't see in one of her ears because of all the wax...so irrigation began. Gracie hated it! She screamed like I have never heard before! After the giant ball of wax ball obstruction was removed and visualization was possible, no. No ear infection.
Next thing...a possible UTI? So the only way to get a clean sample of urine is to cath her. Poor little thing had that done and it was awful. I had one arm, Jimi had the other and the nurses held her little legs spread eagle style and did their thing. Only it took like 10 minutes because her lady parts are so little and so close together.
Well, initially they thought her urine was too clean and clear to have anything wrong with it, but sent it to the lab as standard procedure. They wouldn't be able to tell me anything for a few days till the results got back.
So Friday she woke up with a slight fever but nothing too major but by afternoon she stated developing a rash on he face. Friday night the doc called me and to check on her fevers and I told her that they were pretty much gone but a rash started on her face....weird, but no real concern unless it got worse.
Our wedding anniversary was Saturday and we originally had plans to go down south and see Tarzan at Tuachan. Our cute neighbor even hooked us up with awesome seats for a killer price but by Wednesday we knew we wouldn't be able to go. Even if she was feeling better, Jimi's parents weren't going to be home to watch her for us because Jimi's sweet 98 year old Grandma had passed away Tuesday night and the funeral was in AZ on Saturday.
So anyway, Saturday morning Jimi and I woke up with plans to drop Grace off with Auntie Trace and hit the temple, lunch and a movie to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary. Well when Gracie woke up she looked like she had leprosy! It was all over her face, her tummy, chest and back. Our plans quickly changed and we headed back to the doc. I thought maybe she had the chicken pox?! It was crazy!
An hour later we were on our way home with a diagnosis of Roseola. Not chicken pox. Not leprosy. And that the swollen lymph nodes on her head and neck were normal with this virus. She was no longer contagious and the rash would go away within 3 days.
Grace seemed to be feeling a lot better and started eating again. We went to church and she did pretty well. She just seemed a little off. Probably just tired from being so sick....this morning the doctor called again and told me that the culture came back on her urine sample and the poor little girl has a 'rather extensive UTI', as the doc put it. I felt so bad! The poor thing has been battling this infection and has no help with it! I know how I feel when I get them and I feel like crap!
So the good news is amoxicillin has been started and hopefully within a few days she will be good as new! The bad news is we have to go back in 10 days for a follow up where she will be cathed again! :( No one tell Grace. She will not stand for it!
As sad as it was seeing her so sick, I must admit that I really enjoyed all the snuggling we got to do. Here are a few of my favorites of her and her daddy.
Reading a magazine.
However, Roxy did feel a little neglected, so she took full advantage of Gracie's empty chair.
6 comments:
Poor little thing! I'm glad she's feeling better, the cuddles are the best thought!
Poor gracie& poor mommy :( I'm sorry you had such a tough week. I'm glad that she is getting better though!! Love you all!
oh poor GRace!! I cannot believe she was so sick, Sorry Sara I know all too well how sad it is. I couldn't go with Tate when they did his Cath, I was so emotionally exhausted, I feel bad I didn't but I just couldn't bare to watch. We will keep her in our prayers and you two as well.
They can be antibiotic buddies!! LOL Happy late anniversary!!
UTIs are my arch nemesis! haze just got over a bout of roseola too, and with the unexplained fever for a few days i was about ready to check back into the hospital. i hope your poor baby is feeling better soon!!
Poor little baby! I can't believe she had to go through all of that! Those pictures of her and Jimi are adorable though...
You one tough little lady Grace! Hope you feel better soon! (You make roseola look too cute)
Post a Comment