Friday, June 18, 2010

Weber, there's only you! :)

Nostalgia is an interesting thing and I love it!

So my 13 year old nephew had a little performance in Weber High's auditorium tonight and Jimi, Gracie and I went to support him.  I hadn't stepped foot in that school in over ten years and it was so fun!  We had to hurry in to get a seat so there wasn't a lot of time to really look around.

Gracie got a little restless during the show so we decided to do a little exploring.  None of the doors were locked and of course most of the lights were on, so we allowed ourselves to wander.  I completely forgot that I had my camera in the diaper bag, or else I would have snapped some pictures.  Darn! 

It was crazy how walking down a certain hallway or past a certain classroom can bring back so many fun memories.  Jimi told me he was going to have a nightmare about it tonight!  :)  He did say when we were near Mrs. Heiter's math classroom that he remembered seeing me in that hallway one day when he was sluffing to go snowboarding.  Then he looked at me and smiled really big.  SO CUTE!  I totally don't remember but he did and I loved that!

I just found it interesting that walking through the school most things seemed smaller.  The auditorium for one didn't seem as grand.  The choir room seemed teeny.  The cafeteria, not so big.  And the senior hall.....haha!  It seemed about as intimidating as a baby lamb.  I remember being a sophomore and thinking that I could never walk down that hallway alone!  :)  So funny.  Of course as the year went on and I started crushing on some of the older boys and that ended up being my favorite place to be.  Still, it is funny how seeing a certain row of lockers makes you feel like you are 16 again.

It was, in a very nostalgic way, a little bit reverent walking through the halls with just my sweet little family.  A family that is because of the place we met and 'fell in love'.  I love that we both have very different memories of our high school experience but that we also share so many together of our early years dating.  I know, I know, we were only 17 and 18 years old....but uhh umm, 11 years later, we are still going strong.  I don't think I will ever be able to tell Grace that when she claims she is in love with her high school boyfriend that she isn't and that it is just 'puppy love.'

I am going to miss my 10 year reunion in the next few weeks because we are going to be in Oregon on vacation. I really am not too broken up over this and haven't really even given high school much thought lately, but it was fun to revisit the school that gave me so many wonderful memories and the place I met my rockin hubby.

P.S.  Not that Grace will probably ever go to WHS, but if she does, she will already have a head start in 'senior hall' because she already has crawled all the way down it.  She is a pro.  Nothing intimidating here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So crazy huh? I went to play there for Sharlie and felt the same way. It was really weird going through all the old places...and crazy to think it was 10 years ago.

Craig HOwe said...

how crazy it is to hear about weber high! sheesh! Im just glad I got to be a part of yalls story! I really am so happy for the three of you. You all make such a wonderful family! We really need to hang out as it SEEMS like it has been about 10 years since the last time we saw you! really though lets plan something for july!
have fun on your trip! -Krayg

Heidi said...

I'm bummed you aren't going to be at the reunion! I was hoping to see you. Hope you have a fun trip though.