Wednesday, December 16, 2009

update on sarah

Hi, this is Tracy--Sarah's sister. I thought it would be good to try to keep the bl0g updated with how Sarah is doing and to avoid telling things over and over. Sarah hasn't been feeling well for the last 10 days or so. She went to Instacare on Saturday and was sent home with an "ear infection". She continued to get worse...fevers and horrible congestion. She went to the doctor again yesterday. Her oxgyen saturation was 82% (it should be well over 90% and close to 100%) and her chest x-ray was one of the worse the doctors have seen in awhile. She has double pneumonia (pneumonia in both lungs). Her doctor sent her immediately over to McKay Dee Hospital to be admitted.
She was admitted yesterday afternoon. She needed 2L of oxygen to keep her saturations over 90%. They started her on IV antibiotics. She continued to have fevers despite getting antibiotics. I was there till 8pm last night and Jimi stayed till about 10pm. She of course wasn't feeling well, but was stable.
My mom got a call from the hospital this morning around 8am and they were transferring her to the cardio/thoracic unit for more intense care. She was needing a lot more oxygen and the fevers were not going away. We got there around 10am and they had decided to transfer her to the ICU. She got an art line (a special IV in the artery to better monitor blood pressure), she was placed on bipap with 100% oxygen (this is one step down from a ventilator. She is able to breathe on her own, but it will give her the pressure and breaths if she needs it. It's like a mask that goes over your nose and mouth. They will hopefully be able to wean the percent of oxygen as she gets better). Matt and Jimi gave her a blessing and then shortly after she was transferred to the ICU. She got a PICC line (another special IV that goes from her arm into her heart for better IV access). They also changed her antibiotics to give her the best possible coverage to kill these bugs. Her nasal aspirate came back positive for H1N1.
She is really sick, but you know Sarah...always happy and such a trooper. We are glad she is in the ICU so she can be better monitored and if anything gets worse, they will be right on top of it. She is just really tired. She can only have 2 visitors at a time and they can only be immediate family. Once she is out of the ICU, we will let everyone know on the blog. She and Jimi laughed that she is getting the indepth tour of the hospital with being on 3 different units in less than a day. LOVE HER!
Send her a text, email, or a comment here on her blog. I know she will love to feel such great vibes from her dear family and friends. I will continue to keep this updated so everyone can keep up on our girl.
Jimi was in Vegas yesterday when she was admitted, but flew home that night. Gracie is doing great...just hanging out at Grama's and Aunt Carrie's!
I know Sarah and Jimi appreciate all your love, support, and PRAYERS! Please keep them both in your prayers!!!

14 comments:

Ruthy said...

Sarah! Oh my heck!!! You really need to get feeling better! I went to see you, but they wouldnt let me in! Boo. I miss you so much! I can't wait till we hang out again! Our prayers are with you. Love you <3

Ruth

Unknown said...

Love you Sarah! Get better ok...we will pray for you :)

Janese said...

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry! I hope you get feeling better soon! That is scary. Know that you will be in my prayers. I love you!!!

SharonandScott said...

Hey Sarah. It's Scott and Sharon. Sounds like you have had some bad days. We pray for you and hope all is well. You are tough and we know you will be getting better soon. Take it easy and get lots of sleep. When we get over our family sickness, we will come visit you. We would have come earlier, but we have some bugs ourselves and dont want to share. Jimi is such a good guy, we are grateful for him and all he does for you and Gracie. Well, we love you and know you are in good hands and will be back on your feet soon. Love, Scott, Sharon, Chloe, Tommy and Addie.

kaylinannette said...

A) Tracy you are a great scribe. The nurse in you gave the most vivid description of Sarah’s health. For that I am grateful. B) Sarah I hope you getting feeling better soon. I have never had pneumonia but it just sound awful but as Tracy mentioned you are as happy and positive as ever. C) Love you both. Get well soon.

beth said...

Sarah!!!!! if you didn't want to do your Christmas shopping.. you could have just said so. I am sure there are tons of us who would do it for you. I mean really, I would fly up there and do it if I knew you were going to be so dramatic about it.*wink*

On a serious note, girlie get well. I was shocked to hear you were in the hospital, I am thinking of you.
xxoo

Sara said...

i am praying for you like crazy!

Erin said...

Sarah! Get feeling better SOON! You are in my thoughts and prayers!!

Ashley said...

I'm so sorry you are sick! I hope you are out of the hospital and better before Christmas!

The Shegrud Family said...

Sarah, that is SO scary!! I'm glad they are monitoring you, and keeping track of how you are doing!! We hope you get better soon, and we will definitely keep you in our prayers!!

Rosemary said...

The prayers have been pouring out for you at our house...Mark is fasting for you too.
Hospitals are a big-fat-drag. I'm so sorry you're in one!
We love you and can't wait to party when you get out. You name the place...we buy the dessert!
Tons of love and concern,
Rose and the gang

Heidi said...

I am so sorry Sarah! I hope you get feeling better soon, how scary. I was glad to hear you aren't intubated at least. We'll be praying for you!

Amy said...

We'll be praying for you! Love ya tons!

Erika said...

We'll keep you in our prayers!