Friday, December 25, 2009

day 11

When we recall Christmas past, we usually find that the simplest things - not the great occasions - give off the greatest glow of happiness." ~ Bob Hope



This will be a Christmas we will never forget. It is hard to want to have a big festive dinner and celebration with Sarah being in the hospital, so we didn't. We plan to have a belated Christmas PARTY when Sarah is home. We can't wait for that, but we did have a great day. Jimi went up to the hospital this morning and then the rest of us got there around noon.


Sarah got the greatest gift...she was able to hold her daughter! Jimi talked to her doctor, who then had to get special permission from someone higher up. We were so excited that we could surprise Sarah with a visit from her little girl. Mom got Gracie all glitzed up in a super cute outfit (of course we had to put a bow on her) and we headed up to the hospital. Amy and Craig were there and Amy was able to get the moment on video and what a moment it was. Mom, Dad, and I walked into her room first. Mom said to close her eyes for her Christmas present and Sarah could tell something really good was about to happen. Then Jimi walked in with Gracie and truly the light in Sarah's eyes were never brighter. She started to cry...we started to cry...her nurse started to cry. It was beautiful. We all laughed and cheered too and then gave the little Jarman family of 3 some time to themselves. We all think about presents this time of year, but really it is all about the presence of loved ones being near and remembering the life of our Savior, Jesus Christ. We have all felt His love and mercy like never before these past 11 days.


Yesterday was a day when Sarah's spirits seemed down. I can't even imagine how hard it is to be in the ICU on Christmas. I felt so bad leaving her last night. I think seeing Gracie was the boost that she needed.


I talked about Sarah's CT results yesterday. Seeing how sick her lungs still are, we know it will take longer on the vent to let them heal. Dr. Lotten talked to Sarah this morning about a tracheostomy or "trach". This is a stoma that is just below her vocal chords into her trachea. Having an ET tube in is very uncomfortable and a trach would very much help in that regard. It would also help with decreasing any infection that could migrate from her ET tube that is in now. She will be on the ventilator, then they could even go to a trach mask (where oxygen comes out of a mask that is right by her trach...there is no pressure support). They can wean the FiO2 on a trach mask and then put a nose on it (a cap) to see how Sarah does all on her own before eventually decannulating her. It's our hope that the process will go quickly, but again we will take things as they come. Sarah totally agreed to the trach. She is such a trooper.


So, looks like an ENT doctor will do the trach on Monday. If she is stable with the trach, she will stay in ICU another day and then she could get transferred to the Intermediate Unit.


Her PEEP was at 10 today, but FiO2 was down to 40%. Again...it's a tweaking game. Some numbers go up and other go down. Clinically she looks so much better than what her CT and
X-ray show.


She had a full day with family visiting. Craig and Amy stopped by. Mom and I washed her hair. Ryan read her all her facebook messages and comments on her blog (keep them coming! They mean so much to her!) We helped her open up her presents. She is worn out. They were going to give her an Ambien to help her get some good rest. Oh Ambien...she definitely will have visions of sugar plums dancing in her head! We love you Sarah. Your recovery is the Christmas miracle everyone has been praying for!


14 comments:

Tammy said...

Tears of joy again. I am so excited that you were able to hold your sweet angel today. I bet the time you had with her and Jimi was the highest moment you have had in a very long time!I am so gald you were able to have so many of your family there with you but especially your Gracie! Merry Christmas my friend. I prayer you sleep well tonight and your body continues to heal! I love you!

Heidi said...

That made me cry reading that. I'm so glad you were able to hold your baby. I also had that for a Christmas gift 3 years ago and there is nothing better!
I was kind of surprised to read that they are going to trach you, adults are so much different than kids!
I hope you know how loved you are, keep fighting and we'll keep you in our prayers!

Kristin said...

I am so glad you are making progress Sarah! I have been worried sick about you and checking the blog constantly for the updates. I was really hoping that I could come see you while I am in town, hopefully you will be out of ICU so I can come by before I leave. Know that I am still praying for you and thinking about you! Love you!

The Schwebach Family said...

Sarah-

Merry Christmas!!! What a wonderful gift to be able to hold Gracie. We are praying for you always. You are loved so much by everyone. Keep fighting!!! Love your friends, Adam and Lisa Schwebach

Ruthy said...

Sarah, I am so grateful that you were able to see Gracie today!! That has to be the best gift ever. She is so sweet. I was so glad to get to see you last night. You are such a fighter. I have always admired that about you! You are so amazing and I am proud to call you my friend! I'll love you forever!

Ruth

Jackie said...

Oh Sarah. Elizabeth said she saw you today and that you made her realize what christmas is all about and what miracle you are. We are so blessed to know you and fight hopefully help you fight this battle. You are so very brave and what a lesson you are for us on love, patience and endurance. I love that I am able to pray with my little six for our friend Sarah. They remember praying that Sarah and Jimi would get a baby and it happened. Now they are praying that you get well and get home to that baby. I am so sorry you are going through this tough time. But we are truly blessed at this time of year and what a precious reminder that God is so close and so good and miracles are happening all around us if we but open our eyes long enough to see them.

Get well. We love you so very much. You are so brave!!!! Love to you and your goregous family. Jackie

The Barber's said...

Sarah, I cant even express to you in words what you mean to me. You have been there for the best and the worst...the world is a better place because of you. Your strength and ability to smile through the heartache and tears is such a reminder of all I have to be greatfull for this holiday season. Keep fighting and we will keep praying...we love u!

Amber said...

Sarah I am so happy to hear about all of your progress!! My whole family is waiting to hear about your progress every day! I'm so happy you got to be with your sweet little girl yesterday. I can't wait to see you again! Keep up the great progress- we are all praying for you! LOVE YOU!

PRETTY IN PINK said...

Sarah,Jimi,and Gracie, my thoughts were with you all day long on christmas. Sarah you truly have a great family! that loves you very much. And what a special gift for christmas. You hang in there.We love you!And for Traci you opened my eye about the dr/nurse thing, I had to take my little girl in to insta care this morning, and I thanked them for taking time away from family on holiday weekend, so that my little girl could get feeling better.He was really surprised that I said something like that.I don't think they get that often. So thank you so much for that insight.

cakemom10 said...

Hi Jimi, I'm not sure you know me but I know Sarah and I'm thinking of you often as I've been through this with my sister and her husband. He went into the hospital Nov 11 and was told that he would be put on a ventilator and be in an induced coma while his lungs healed. He was able to get the trach last week and she may get to see him awake next week. When she heard about Sarah she asked me to make sure that you know that people are recovering from this terrible flu. They have had their Christmas miracle also and we are so blessed. Our family prays for you and we know Heavenly Father is watching and answering prayers. Keep up the faith. Love Kelly Salmond

Melissa said...

Sarah, we are praying for you! You have never been far from our thoughts this entire week and we are so grateful to hear that things are getting better. Tomorrow we're heading back to Utah so hopefully we'll be able to come see you! We just love you so much...get better soon. Things just aren't the same with you in the hospital. Love you, take care!

Jennifer Gerritsen said...

Sarah,
We have been reading this blog pretty much every day and we have been praying for you! Hang in there!

The Gerritsen's

Lori said...

What a beautiful christmas present. I can imagine your little angel loved being in your arms again. Keep fighting Sarah! We're all praying for you. Love you girl.

Hilary said...

I can't wait to see you Sar! Keep on fighting. When I can see you AND you can eat I'll bring you some cinnamon bread.