Moving to Seattle has meant that we are much closer to the Ranch than we were in Utah (obviously). We have loved the idea that we could go down for a long weekend just about whenever we wanted to! I only wish Grampa was still alive to greet us as we drove up. He would have been so excited to have his grandkids closer. Anyway, Jimi, Gracie and I were able to go down over Labor Day and spend some time with Uncle Hal, Aunt Joyce and Hillary. While we were there my mom and Uncle Hal received an offer on the property and will be closing next month. I thought I would be so sad but I have mixed feelings. When we exited the freeway and turned onto Phillps Ranch Road I got so emotional. I cannot believe he has been gone for 2 years! This was the 3rd time we have been there in the last two years since his passing but this time there wasn't 25-30 people there with us. There was just the 6 of us and it was so quiet. So dark and really pretty lonely. I will miss going on walks and hiking through the trees but the truth of it is, it really isn't the same place I grew up visiting. My grandpa is gone. His spirit is gone too. Now it just seems like a simple house in the middle of a dark canyon. For the first time ever really, I felt very isolated there, a little scared and was almost ok saying goodbye.
G and Rox loved running around.
And picking "flowers".
And posing for pictures.
Molly got tired and needed a lift.
And we went old-school and did a sleepover in the middle of the living room. As kids we all used to pile in on the floor and stay up all night giggling and chatting with our cousins. Grampa used to 'act' like he was upset and tell us to quiet down but we all knew he secretly loved it. It wasn't quite the same with just us Jars and Hill, but it was fun none the less and G, well, she had a great time!
We drove all the way to Haceta Head and the beach was closed! Major bummer! We found this little beach somewhere along the way, it was so foggy and chilly, just the way we like it. Gracie just didn't get that memo.
Much better in the warm car with her headphones and movie....
We took full advantage of all the wild blackberries. It was so frustrating though to see the thousands of ripe berries and not be able to get to them. Wild blackberries are vicious! Gracie loved eating them but I made her strip down, she was trying really hard to maintain her modesty.
Us in front of the old green house that mom lived in when she a baby until the age of about 14.
No comments:
Post a Comment