Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Warning....pictures of my stint in the ICU.

This is Tracy. You all know and love her. So do I! I just thought you would want to see the face of our angel. I love my sister and thank Heavenly Father for her everyday.
This is my toe ring. I have had this baby on my second toe of my right foot for at least ten years. It came off during my hospital stay. It was either that or loose the toe.

My beautiful little Christmas tree. It sat on the counter in my ICU room and I loved looking at it. My mom and sister brought it, along with a bunch of pictures of me and my family so when I woke up I would have something to look at. My family all wrote me notes on the hearts on the tree and I will cherish those forever. I have an amazing family.

This is my showcase of IVs and such.
This was the typical scene in my room. I think Trace blogged about this one. I love my hubby. He is incredible.

This is it, the best of the worst. I have a few other pictures of me in the coma but I cannot bring myself to post those. They are too hard to look at. But I am a visual person so I wanted to post something for all you visual people out there.

Our family. This is Christmas day and my first memories of waking up. Seeing Grace and being able to hold her was the perfect medicine. She is such a miracle baby.

Right after being extubated! One of the best days of my life.

My sweet sister was there when they removed my ET tube and this was just moments later, after I brushed my teeth, that is. I could open my mouth and better yet...I could CLOSE my mouth and I could smile again! My eyes are not crossed by the way....

While I was sleeping, my blood pressure dropped really low so they had to put me on BP medication to keep it up....well with all the coughing and now restricted vessels, this happened. It was so dark when I woke up that it looked like I had crossed-eyes. This was just taken yesterday, so it is healing very nicely. Today, it looks even better.

This is me now.

The night I came home from the hospital we had our first Christmas as a family of three. My sister gave Grace a book with a story of adoption. Here we are reading it together.


I thought this was funny because we are holding up Gracie's clothes and not our own. We love being parents and love our little supermodel. She has more clothes than I even know what to do with. More clothes from Grammy.


Again, thank you to you all. I had a follow-up doc appointment today and still have the pneumonia but am on the mend. My doctor kept reminding me that I almost died and that it takes time for my body to heal after something like that. I feel so blessed to be here and be among all of you! Thanks again for your love, prayers and support.

NOW, IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY, GO GET YOUR VACCINATIONS!!!!!

23 comments:

Ruthy said...

So glad you are doing better!!! You are beautiful, even in the ICU. I need more Sarah time! I miss you. I will be over VERY soon!!! Love you ;)

Janese said...

Sarah,
You look amazing! I am so glad to hear how well you are doing. I think about you every day and pray that you will continue to recover. I love you.

Jackie said...

Sarah,

What a great surprise to see your goregous, contagious smile tonight. I was just checking to see if I could find your email, I have several messages that were sent on your behalf that I would like to forward to you. You impacted many. Also, what is the name of the adoption book, we are looking for one for Tanner.

Thank you for being so brave to post those pictures. It is a visual of what you really went through. And thanks to Traci for her updates.

Isn't it nice to know how loved you are by so many. Continue to get well and send me your email. Love, jackie

The Barber's said...

Sarah you are amazing- I am so glad to have you as a friend! We need to do Olive Garden when you are all better with Ruth...love u!

Amber said...

Sarah you look so great, and I'm so happy to see that you are on the mend. Those pictures really put everything into perspective- I'm so glad you shared them! I hope you are enjoying this time with your sweet husband and baby girl!

Angie said...

You are just BEAUTIFUL!! I'm so excited and relieved to see your great smile again! Please know that I'm right here if you need ANYTHING, and that I love you to pieces. Rest well friend and I'll chat with you soon.
Angie

Anonymous said...

Well Sarah,
I'm so sorry you had to suffer that, but I'll tell you something. I had decided NOT to immunize my family because my kids tend to react...um..Unfavorably to vaccinations in some cases. But after I heard what had happened to you my whole family including some of my extended family all got their shots on Dec. 18. The kids still have to have their second ones but we got them and its all because of you. BTW no one reacted at all...if we can take them anyone can! GET YOUR SHOTS!

kaylinannette said...

You look so good. I am so proud of you. Only you have the strength and positive attitude to make it through this.
I am so happy you are feeling better and that your my cousin. Your provide me a strength that you will never know.
Luvs!

Hilary said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures and its good to that you are looking better!

Johnstun Fam said...

oh I love to see that smile! You look great, I can only imagine how hard it would be to see your self at that low. I am going to try to come visit you this week. Wish you could be at the church tonight! I will fill you in...
Loveya!!

Melissa said...

Wow! I cannot believe how great you look! And how terrible that picture is of you in a coma. We are so happy you're feeling better...keep it up! Maybe I'll have to come up this weekend to see you. I miss you!

Amy said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better! Are you at home now or still with your parents? I want to come visit when you are ready. And bring you dinner. Let me know when a good time is, okay? Love ya lots!

beth said...

oh you are my bloody eye twin! I am pretty sure I scared more than one date away with the crazy eye.ha ha I am so glad you are back!

Tracy Smythe said...

ET tube...Broken blood vessel...Puffy Hands...all that stuff could never make you less beautiful. It is so great to comment on YOUR blog from one of YOUR posts. I love you!

Unknown said...

We LOVE U Sarah! We feel so blessed to have you home with us! It was sure scarry!
NOW....NEVER NEVER NEVER DO THIS AGAIN! XOXO Julie

Tammy said...

I am one of those visual people to. I thought I had invisoned well what you must have looked like. I never imagined so many tubes and ivs. Amazing! I love the pciture with Jimi by your side! It says so much about the two of you and your relationship! Seeing your family whe you woke up has got to be one of the best moments!I am so glad that you are doing better. Baby steps, baby steps, that is the best way to heal. We got our shots! Love you! See you soon!

Heidi said...

I'm so glad you are getting better! I love the picture of you and Gracie after you got extubated! You are amazing! Are you home yet? When can I bring you dinner?

Lori said...

wow. sarah, thanks for sharing with us. i'm glad to hear things are on the upswing. i'm sure recovery will be a battle, but you're still definitely in our prayers.

much love.

lori

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are home. Gosh, seeing those pictures makes me wanna cry. You have an amazing family and I am so so glad that everything is ok now. The power of prayer huh? :)

Mrs B said...

Sarah- I'm sooo glad you're OK! What an ordeal! I'm happy you have the family you do to keep you going- what a blessing! So many prayers were & are with you-- Keep getting better!
Love, Jaime

mommy princess said...

I found out about your scary adventure when I was reading Amber's blog. So glad you're on the mend. I'm glad you have such a great family to pull you through. If I'd known about all this when it was happening I would have added you to my prayer list. I'll be sure to add you now and pray for your continued recovery. Best wishes to you and your sweet little family.

Vause Family said...

Sarah, I'm so glad you are doing better! I was absolutely shocked to find these posts (haven't checked your blog for a while). My thoughts are with you as you recover. Thank the Lord you are on to better days!

Hilary said...

I would love to hear how you are doing and so would a lot of people at church. We miss you!